Thursday, 3 August 2017

Interview, Jon Peach.

A couple of years ago -- I heard of this duo called The Junk Shop Poets -- I've asked both of members Jon & Justin Peach as I thought it would be fun to get differing perspectives.  Part one below is my interview with Jon Peach -- who also started his own musical path called Love Songs for Losers.  (But still maintains as a Junk Shop Poet) Either way, his creative melody and passionate lyrics always suck me into its musical orbit.  You can follow Jon's musical journey on Instagram & Facebook.



RMMW: What are you listening to right now?

JP: I'm having a bit of a nostalgia moment for some reason & listening to bands like Smashing Pumpkins, The Eels & Radiohead. 

RMMW: Why the title Junk Shop Poets?

JP: I had an image in my mind of 2 old robot toys in a junk shop...Junk Shop Robots!!! Then Justin came up with the Poet idea and it just worked better for the bands sound.

RMMW:What is the origin story of The Junk Shop Poets?

JP: We happened to go through relationship breakdowns the same christmas...by new years eve we were the poets. We had a new sound, a whole set of original songs & gigs being booked!

RMMW: Do you write music together or separately?

JP: We tend to write separately and then arrange together.

RMMW: You must have an insane schedule; how do you balance your work, music and home life?

JP The way I balance writing, work & life is easy...My kids always comes first, then writing. Work is just a way to pay the bills lol

RMMW: Festival season has kicked off in the UK, are there any specific festivals that you will be playing at or frequenting?

JP: No real big fests this year, I've just started a new musical project called Love Songs for Losers, & I've been recording an EP so its been keeping me pretty busy.

RMMW: Do you have any artist rituals before beginning a new piece?

JP: I don't really have any rituals before writing...I used to like to get a little buzzed before, but now I write all the time its harder to sustain that lol 

RMMW: Which Songwriters inspire your muse?

JP: I'm really inspired by writers like Billy Bragg, Tom Waits, Roy Orbison. I really love emotional lyrics & voices! 

RMMW: How do you find social media has shaped how you share your work?

JP: Social media has really changed the music industry,  as a band you had to play gigs usually for free, for exposure. Now you can be seen by a hugely diverse audience,  without leaving the house. You can live stream,  Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, blog...it's endless. The industry as a whole where worried about the internet and illegal downloads etc. But it turns out that this is fast becoming the greatest generation for artists. so many people where undiscovered gems in past generations, but now you have an audience on your Android! 

RMMW: Have you ever been creatively blocked? If yes, what do you do to get those creative juices flowing?

JP: I haven't had writer's block in years.  I went a bit crazy in my late teens & since then I've written every day, in one way or another. It helps me keep grounded.

RMMW: We all have to contend with our inner critics constantly judging us, how do you contend with yours?

JP: I try too write really fast & totally disregard my inner critic...& only let it out in the studio when I'm working on sound.

RMMW: If you had a super power what would it be? 

JP: Immortality...I want to see what happens in the end!!!